Breaking bad spending habits

I have been doing some research on my spending habits and figuring out what I should do to save and here's a couple of things I've decided to start with.

Shopping for food
I've used to just stop by a grocery shop anytime I need something. I might only need milk, but when I go to the store I never leave with just the milk. So the cost of the milk for me is way more than it actually is.. I also throw away food because they get bad. I might have five different cheese because I'm not sure if I have any and I by it just in case.. So I am learning to plan my grocery shopping ahead. I make a list of what to buy and I only go shopping two or three times a week. Some people go to the store only once a week, but because I live alone and my schedule can change a lot in short time, it's better for me not to stock on groceries for more than the next couple of days.
And I never used to take the receipt with me, but I am now forcing myself to actually look how much I've spend and what did I get for the money spend. Very educational indeed..

Bigger purchases
I don't go buying straight away anything that I really don't need right here and right now. Meaning that if run out of gas, I need to buy gas right now, right? But if my blender breaks down, I really don't need to buy new one, at least not right away. Instead I will sleep on it a few nights or few weeks and really think wether or not I actually need one, and do I need it now, and how much I am willing to pay for one etc. And if my coffee maker breaks I don't go buying a new one right away but I take my time to compare brands and prices and I look for any discounts. I am using coffee for example because fresh coffee is something I NEED to have in the morning in order to get my day started, but really, I can get by with instant coffee for a few days to save potentially a lot of money and avoid buying something I might regret.

No comments:

Post a Comment